Flash Cutter SS48C
Bench Models for Cutting and
Fusing Stranded Cable
Flash Cutters Model SS48C are designed to sever stranded
wire in any metal and fuse the ends of the strands to prevent un-raveling
Typical uses are:
- Cutting of Stranded Steel or Stainless Steel
- Copper cable in fine stranding for subsequent
- Flexible shafts for speedometer or other remote
- Surgical wires and sutures.
- The cable is pulled out by hand and placed between
electrodes. A foot pedal is actuated and air operated electrodes clamp
the cable, straddling the cutting point. A heavy current of low voltage
melts a short section of the cable, similar to blowing an electric
fuse.The ends are fused and smooth.
- The gap between the electrodes is adjustable to
accommodate cables of a wide range of diameters.
- Watercooled electrode holders Part# A4862-1 can be
used for heavy cables.
- Heat control is by tapswitch or solidstate
- Electrode Jaws are readily replaceable. Part#
- A "Stretch" option exerts a pull while the cable is
heated.This reduces build-up at the ends.
- A "Feed Initiation" switch and automatic cycling
can be installed for applications where the customer wants to combine
the Flash Cutter with a wire feed system.
- Cleaning Brush Part# A3837
||Dimensions W x
H x D
Foot Switch &
One Set Electrodes
Air Regulator & Guage
for Air 60-120
PSI (4-8 Bar)
Automatic Flash Cutter 950
Custom Designed Machines for cutting to length and
fusing the ends of stranded cable in any metal.
The Automatic Flash Cutter has a carriage propelled by a DC
Motor Drive.On the carriage is a set of fingers which grab the end of the
cable and pull it out to a pre-set length. Electrodes are applied adjacent
to the cutting point and a heavy current of low voltage melts a short
section of the cable fusing the ends, or a mechanical cutting head can
sever plastic coated cable or conduit.The machine operates until a pre-set
counter turns it off.
The length can be set from 3" (76.2mm) up to the maximum
design length of the machine and the tolerance on most cable construction
is held to"+/-"1/16" (1.5mm) or better. Production rates vary with cutting
length and material.Typical rates are 1000/Hr. on short cuts and 500/Hr.
on long cuts and slow melting speeds.
- Speedometer drives
- Aircraft control cable
- Office machine cables
- Automobile and Aircraft seat controls
- Marine Rigging
Automatic FLASH CUTTER 950 Series
- Length of cut capacities from 1ft. to 16ft(.3 to 4.8 meters).
- Double pull action: increases capacity to twice the length of the
single pull.multiple pull also possible.
- Transformer and controls rated 1/2KVA to 10KVA to accommodate cables
from .010 to .375" (.25 to 10mm) diameter. Solid state control.
- Line voltage 115,230 or 44OV, 50/60Hz. single phase.
- Watercooled electrode holders for heavy duty use (large diameter
cable and short cutting lengths).
- Water circulator and tank for use with water-cooled electrodes.
- Stretch action: To exert a pull on the cable as it is heated. This
prevents build-up at the end, and results in a slight tapering of the
ends on most cable constructions.
- Weld Interceptor: This device stops the flash cutter if there is a
buttweld or knot in the cable which would cause jamming of the machine.
- Wire break detector: For use on very fine cables. It shuts off the
machine at the end of a coil, or if the cable should break external to
the Flash Cutter.
- Monitor: A sensor stops the machine if a cut piece is not dropped
after each cycle. A horn or flashing light alerts an operator.
- Straightener: For stiff wire which will not straighten by being
pulled 5 rolls in each of one or two axis.
- Tensioner: Pulleys with friction brakes apply an adjustable tension
to the cable for more accurate cutting length. A tensioner is required
if no external tensioning device or straightener is used.
- Pull lengths up to 3ft. (1 meter) can be built as bench top models.
Longer stroke Flash Cutters are supplied on a welded steel base.
- A pre-set batch counter is standard. As an option a totalizing
counter can be added.
- Mechanical cutting (no fusing of ends): A punch press, shear, saw or
abrasive cutter can be installed in place of the electrical cutting head
for use on plastic coated cable.
- The sequencing of operations is by programmable logic
controller(P.L.C.). Make and model can be specified by the